I found that some of life's greatest revelations can discovered on the open road with nothing more than an evening breeze, jazz on the radio, and a 5lb bag of gummi bears. I've also learned that I'll always have more questions than answers (and that's okay!). May this be a written and visual documentation of this crazy journey we call life.

9.14.2008

Social Butterfly

Yawn.

I'm in my bedroom, staring at boxes that still need to be unpacked. But it's such a beautiful sunny day, again, that I really don't want to. According to the weather forecast, fall/winter will start arriving by the end of the week. I guess I should make the most of it!

Yesterday was quite the busy day and really I'm just recouping from all the fun activities:

Noon- went with my friend Kate Minto to a bar in West Seattle that plays the U of M football games live for all the alumni in the city. Kind of a surreal experience to see so much Maize and Blue and to hear cowbells and the Michigan fight song 3,500 miles away from Ann Arbor. But I enjoyed it, despite the score, and this will probably be a weekly tradition to look forward to.

2:45- Met up for "dinner" with some co-workers from the national park who were in the city to watch the UW Huskies football game. Traffic was pretty bad with all the fans and I still can't get over how ugly purple and silver are as school colors.

7:30-Saw Shrek: The Musical with some friends from Bellingham. As I may have mentioned, my good friend and college roommate of 3 years, Steve Sposito, was the Assistant Director on this major, soon-to-be Broadway, production. While we were originally in the balcony section, Steve moved us down to the orchestra level and then gave us a behind-the-scenes tour of the theatre, scenic pieces, costume rooms, etc. He was so blasé about it, but we all felt like VIPs.

10:30- the group then went over to a nearby pub to continue catching up with Steve.

11:30- The Bellingham contingent left to drive home and Steve and I took a cab to the Capitol Hill club, Neighbors, to meet up with other Shrek staff. Over the course of the night I met a Pulitzer-prize winner for play writing and a Tony-award winning lighting designer. Wow, these are Steve's friends and I'm kind of jealous. Even though clubbing and dancing isn't exactly my scene, it was still fun to get out and let loose for a bit.

2:30am- Steve and I parted ways and I headed home.

3:00am- bed

Okay, clearly this is not representative of my everyday life. I wish I was this cool and cosmopolitan! It just so happened that all these engagements fell on the same day. As someone new to a big city and still building new groups of friends, I'm certainly not as socially-active as I was in Ann Arbor... Ah well, it's all part of this transition post-college, right?

1 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Your life sounds so posh and exciting! But hey, no calling your social life anything less than great, because you're probably ten times more socially active than I am! The population of 20-30 year-olds in Bar Harbor is practically non-existent! Although I'm somehow making due.

Glad to see your posting again, I was beginning to get a bit depressed with my lack of reading material and updates on Michael's life!

3:33 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home