I found that some of life's greatest revelations can discovered on the open road with nothing more than an evening breeze, jazz on the radio, and a 5lb bag of gummi bears. I've also learned that I'll always have more questions than answers (and that's okay!). May this be a written and visual documentation of this crazy journey we call life.

9.02.2008

First blog post from Bellevue

Just a brief blog post today as I’m trying to finish packing for a business trip tomorrow to Glacier National Park. Ha, that sounds so adult: business trip. I guess it’s a fitting way to start my first September where I’m not going back to school. I’ve talked to a few friends and we’ve all agreed that it’s very strange to not be in Ann Arbor right now (or for those still in Ann Arbor, to not have classes). Maybe this is why my latest move, from Bellingham to Bellevue, was more disorienting than I imagined. The weather too, is starting to feel like fall and my body automatically associates the cooler temperature, fading light, and changing colors with fresh starts (and cross-country season).

Okay, hold on, I think my potatoes are done boiling. I lied, I’m not actually packing right now, I’m in the midst of making dinner. I’m trying my hand at gnocchi, with a spicy arrabbiata sauce.
.
.
.
.
.
.
And…I’m back. The potatoes have been mashed and are cooling in the fridge. I hope these turn out all right. Jeremy, one of my new roommates puts me to shame with his confidence in the kitchen. But it’s a good thing my somewhat competitive nature has kicked in and he’s pushing me to be a better cook.

Man, there’s so much to write about that it’s actually kind of overwhelming to try and cover it all.

Here are the basics-

-I spent most of last week cleaning up and packing my apartment in Bellingham.
-Friday, I drove straight from work, in my fully packed station wagon, through a steady rain, to Bellevue.
-Unfortunately, the room that I was to move into wasn’t yet ready so I had to spend the next three nights on a futon in the mess room by the kitchen. Amidst all my boxes and bags.
-I bought a mattress, bed frame, and dresser from IKEA and really enjoyed putting them all together. Very satisfying, in the same way that I found building the Warehaus gallery walls a satisfying hands-on experience.
-Yesterday, I finally moved into my room and slept in my newly built bed- my first bed since moving from Michigan (remember, I’ve had an air mattress for the last 4 months!).
-Today feels like Day One of my post-college life. So far, it’s off to a good start.

Okay, I think that’s it for now. I’ll put up pictures of Bellevue sometime in the future. But before that, it’s off to Montana! I’m looking forward to the 9-hour drive (seriously, I am).

Oh wait, I forgot to buy gummi bears.

2 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

I hope your "business trip" is a blast! And educational--of course. I'm so glad you finally got a bed and more permanent place to live. I know having a house isn't the same as a home, and a home isn't usually a home without a comfy place to sleep. I'm excited to see pictures!

6:54 AM

 
Blogger Michelle said...

I felt the need to share that I just stumbled upon the blog of a woman who is doing a national/international version of our sketchbook exchange! Naturally I emailed her and shared out version and of course...asked to get on board! I'll apparently be receiving a sketchbook sometime in the near future that I'm supposed to keep for no more than two weeks...haha I'm kind of excited :)

3:24 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home