I found that some of life's greatest revelations can discovered on the open road with nothing more than an evening breeze, jazz on the radio, and a 5lb bag of gummi bears. I've also learned that I'll always have more questions than answers (and that's okay!). May this be a written and visual documentation of this crazy journey we call life.

11.06.2006

Tea Time

I’m slightly, okay, more than slightly caffeinated right now. Since I’ve yet to find a Starbucks here in Bamako (which is probably a good thing), I’ve decided to embrace the local custom of taking tea. If I could pick just one Malian tradition that would be representative of this culture, it’d be taking tea. Everywhere you walk in Mali, you can find a group of men lounging on low chairs around tiny tea pots and shot sized glasses (the women are too busy working for tea. Sigh, I know…). Historically, it began with millet beer, but switched to tea after Islam was introduced and forbade consumption of alcohol (thankfully, this is no longer true).

Three glasses of tea are poured throughout this ceremony and the entire process takes over two hours. The first is said to be “Bitter as death,” the second, “Mild as life” and the third, “Sweet as love.” Kinda like Goldilocks. In a weird somewhat related way. The tea is incredibly concentrated (think espresso) and one’s skill as a tea maker is measured by the amount of froth. This requires considerable hand-eye coordination as you have to pour from about two feet above the glass. I make quite a mess but the guys promise me that I’ll be good enough by the time I return home.

At first, I couldn’t sit still that long because, being the good American that I am, I kept thinking of other things I could be doing. I quickly realized however, that this is an invaluable opportunity to practice my French and to really understand another culture. I’m learning more in my two-three hours of tea each day than I have in many formal lectures at school. Here are just a few conversation topics from last night:
-Saddam Hussein’s sentence and capital punishment in Mali
-federal prisons
-taxes
-fasting and Sabbaths

I plan to pick up my own tea set to bring home, but more importantly, I hope I can return with the peace of mind that it takes to sit for two unhurried hours with friends.


(Laya Kassogue and Boucary Kassogue, my Malian uncle and cousin)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

For sure the best thing you learn stepping outside American culture. I look forward to participating in these long two hour non-chalant talks with you when you get home, oh how i miss relaxation!!

12:22 PM

 
Blogger Michelle said...

I would love to partake in a tea chat when we both get back. I think that one of my favorite things about being here is the conversations I've had with people (once I was actually able to converse in the language). It's great to be able to just sit and discuss life with people with a completely different perspective on things. And I've also gotten into tea as well..although I've gotten hooked on english tea due to my two english roommates.

Good luck in your last few weeks there!!! I'll see you at Christmas when we can share all of our expriences and stories in person!!! (and to answer your question, it's spring here, although it gets up to about 80 sometimes, so it's more comprable to our summer...I'm curious to see what their actual summer brings...)

6:30 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home