I found that some of life's greatest revelations can discovered on the open road with nothing more than an evening breeze, jazz on the radio, and a 5lb bag of gummi bears. I've also learned that I'll always have more questions than answers (and that's okay!). May this be a written and visual documentation of this crazy journey we call life.

10.30.2006

Barbers of Bamako

Haircuts in Mali are always a bit sketchy. Take Jake for example; when he decided to finally tame his unruly hair and find a barber, he ended up getting it cut by a confused butcher for 200 CFA (40 cents). The final result of course reflected that price, a mix between someone from the band, The Monkeys, and a four year-old with scissors.

Yesterday between dance class and lunch, I decided to finally trim my already short hair hair with Erica’s electric clippers. Because the voltage is different between the United States and Mali, we have to use a converter that in theory works, but often causes electronic devices to overheat. So it’s always a mad dash to finish the haircut before the clippers get too hot to handle. I was nearly done when I heard a quick “pop” and smelled burning plastic. The clippers had short-circuited themselves and smoke was now seeping out of the handle. I, of course, was left looking like I had mange.

Much to the amusement of everyone in the house, we couldn’t find a pair of scissors to finish the job. Not wanting to wear a hat for the rest of the semester or face the prospects of getting it fixed by a butcher-turned-barber, I was determined to find some other cutting utensil. Jazz came to the rescue when she discovered a flimsy razor blade and Em sat me down with her patient fingers to bring everything down to the same length (1/8 inch). As I sat there in our balcony hallway, feeling my scalp get scratched, I couldn’t help but realize this as just another one of those surreal moment of life in Africa. The haircut looks great, considering the limited tools, though if I stand in just the right light, you can still see the slightly different shades from where the clippers stopped working.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mike!
hahaha i hope that you took some pictures of your hair, before you fixed it!
Can't wait to see you! We miss you!
xoxox
Anna

4:29 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Micheal, We hope youre havin fun in Africa. Sarah is studying Africa in school and will give her teacher your blog site so that the class can read it to. We look forward to seeing you at Christmas dinner.
Love, The Frank Family

1:25 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home