I found that some of life's greatest revelations can discovered on the open road with nothing more than an evening breeze, jazz on the radio, and a 5lb bag of gummi bears. I've also learned that I'll always have more questions than answers (and that's okay!). May this be a written and visual documentation of this crazy journey we call life.

11.06.2006

Maybe it's the water...

So I’ve been sick this past week and it sucks. Massive headache, sore throat, achy body, etc. I’ve been going into the city everyday and all the pollution, noise, sun and heat have taken its toll. I guess being in Africa for eight weeks can be taxing and my body feels like my flip-flops right now: worn through and dirty.

Perhaps even worse than being physically ill is the effect that it’s having on my mind. I felt drained by being here and wanted nothing more than to be back home on my couch, watching a movie, and eating lime jello and grilled cheese. I wanted access to cell phones and supermarkets and restaurants and coffee shops and all my friends and family. But that’s not the right mentality I should be having for these last four weeks, right?

Fortunately, those thoughts have mostly passed. So why am I sharing this? Because life isn’t always perfect and amazing and wonderful (as this blog may indicate). Sometimes it’s pretty crappy. At this wise old age of 21, I’ve come to realize that everything’s temporary. It’s like the boat ride from Mopti; it’ll be over at some point, but until then, you just have to endure it. Alright, moving on…

1 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

I've had those moments as well, and then had the same counter thoughts. Life really isn't perfect. We all have our moments of missing the comfort of our home. I actually met a girl in Peru who travelled for six months the last year; alone. I asked her how she could manage for six months without any friends or family and she said that it was easy, she had her music. And that it was easier to travel alone because then you don't have to worry about fighting or disagreeing on what you want to do and where you want to go. I can see her point, but at the same time, that seemed to speak a lot for the comment I heard before about american's being cold. I think there's something wrong if you don't miss home and friends and family after a certain point...

6:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home