I found that some of life's greatest revelations can discovered on the open road with nothing more than an evening breeze, jazz on the radio, and a 5lb bag of gummi bears. I've also learned that I'll always have more questions than answers (and that's okay!). May this be a written and visual documentation of this crazy journey we call life.

5.25.2008

PS

After a month in storage, I finally brought out my pens, watercolors, and paper. My senior thesis was such an intense and wonderful experience but I needed some time off to reflect and revisit my motivations/inspirations.

There was something weirdly intimidating about putting down my first pen strokes as an adult, as a non-student. Was I suddenly supposed to be able to draw with more confidence now that I had a BFA on my resume? Do I have more to prove with that degree? Or can I make more mistakes and take more private risks now that I'm out of the classroom.

Balancing my work life, personal life, and art-making will probably be negotiated the rest of my life.

What I do know for sure is that the weather is too beautiful here in the summer to stay cooped up in the studio. I may just experience life right now and table the physical art-making for rainy days of winter.

1 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

I added my updates, a bit behind, but there none the less. Been doing more experiencing lately; living without my laptop and cell phone...gasp! Kind of scary, but kind of cool.

Cuisine sounds like a reasonable starting point. It seems to be one of the points that I'm focusing my time on without much effort. I actually just check out our farmers' market this sunday and was pleasantly surprised, although the produce has yet to blossom out here. It's gonna take me a bit of a kick to get back into art making. I feel like I've been trying to live my time here and I'm feeling like you--art can be made in the winter. But I don't really want that. Maybe the big formal things can be taken care of then, but for now, I'd still like to do some small sculpture things and lighthearted stuff. I think that's where the collaboration with you is going to really make the difference!

Tell Andy to jump on in! Maybe we should make him start his own blog :)

6:51 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home