I found that some of life's greatest revelations can discovered on the open road with nothing more than an evening breeze, jazz on the radio, and a 5lb bag of gummi bears. I've also learned that I'll always have more questions than answers (and that's okay!). May this be a written and visual documentation of this crazy journey we call life.

8.07.2006

Ahem. My Name is Ranger Mike and Welcome to North Cascades National Park

Some folks have expressed interest about my evening program, “Beyond the Overlook: The Art of Tourism and National Parks,” and I thought I’d provide an abbreviated version here. I consider it a sort-of capstone presentation of the past three years, a synthesis between my art background and observations as a park ranger (and presented in the style of a Nick Tobier lecture). Basically, I do a critical analysis of overlooks and tourism as well as throw in some contemporary artists who are exploring similar issues. Ranger Mike? Try Professor Liang.

Anyway, it’s a fun program to give and I hope you enjoy it. Most of the photographs are my own, but if you want to know the specific artist, just send me an e-mail. I’m blogging this in reverse so that you can following it from top to bottom. Here we go:

I first introduce North Cascades National Park as an incredibly complex landscape, one that is often very difficult to truly comprehend, much less reproduce in a drawing or photograph (hence the phrase: photos never do the place justice).





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home