I found that some of life's greatest revelations can discovered on the open road with nothing more than an evening breeze, jazz on the radio, and a 5lb bag of gummi bears. I've also learned that I'll always have more questions than answers (and that's okay!). May this be a written and visual documentation of this crazy journey we call life.

7.29.2006

The Devil Buys Pollock



I just returned from seeing "The Devil Wears Prada" and actually found it somewhat relevant to my life right now. In it, the main character basically sells her soul to her boss, fashion, and work. She sacrifices her relationships with friends and family, as well as her own integrity.

The more I get involved with the art world and start thinking ahead to possibly interning in NYC next summer, the more I'm scared of getting sucked into this system. Like the fashion world, the art scene can honestly be a little materialistic (at least the kind filled with big art stars floating from gallery opening to gallery opening, smoochzing with the elite). And I'm afraid that I'm ambitious enough to engage in that lifestyle if I so choose...that I'll lose sight of the real reasons I love being an artist.

I hope that living in a 3rd world country for a semester will help clarify my professional ambitions.

So if I ever end up throwing aside personal happiness and friendships for this "success," you all have permission to smack me upside the head.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home