I found that some of life's greatest revelations can discovered on the open road with nothing more than an evening breeze, jazz on the radio, and a 5lb bag of gummi bears. I've also learned that I'll always have more questions than answers (and that's okay!). May this be a written and visual documentation of this crazy journey we call life.

7.23.2006

Heat+Polyester=Nasty

I met an interesting visitor today under those adverse weather conditions that can bring people together. Me: stuck at an overlook mid-afternoon where temperatures reached 95 degrees in the shade…and in a polyester uniform. Stefan: a bicyclist from LA who had ridden up the coast and was trying to reach NYC by September. But the heat both kept us from accomplishing not much else besides conversation on a bench under a Douglas fir. Turns out that he grew up in Paris (where I’ll be in December) and is a “celebrity” photographer in LA and NYC (though conversation lead me to believe that he was paparazzi). Between sips of warm water, we engaged in deep talks like debating traditional film photography vs. digital or the rules of the road when one cycles. Though the afternoon was punctuated with the usual visitor questions like “why is the water so green?” and “where is the nearest bathroom,” it was our conversation and weather bitching that made the time pass so quickly. After 3 seasons of meeting visitors like this, I’m a big believer that everyone is interesting and has stories to share if we only have the time to sit down and listen.

Other highlight: at one point in the afternoon, I thought I spied two seagulls fly past the overlook. Remember, I’m in the middle of the mountains. Stefan recommended that I drink more water.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

7:29 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site lots of usefull infomation here.
»

1:13 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home