I found that some of life's greatest revelations can discovered on the open road with nothing more than an evening breeze, jazz on the radio, and a 5lb bag of gummi bears. I've also learned that I'll always have more questions than answers (and that's okay!). May this be a written and visual documentation of this crazy journey we call life.

7.21.2006

what are the odds?



The more you get out into the world, the more you realize how small it really is. Especially the art world. Take this afternoon for example:

After reading about artist Evan Blackwell's sculptures at the Benham Gallery and realizing that the show closed tomorrow, I decided to check it out. I was initially drawn to the descriptions of his work: "Plastic cups, forks, hangers are transformed into sculpture—with a nod to the excesses and "detritus" of American consumerism" (Seattle Weekly, June 28), and thought, hey, there's someone else like me and he's making a living at it! I was drawn to the repetition in his work and creative forms that emerged (though, at times it seemed a bit too much, almost wasteful. Like he was creating more trash instead of recycling discarded materials). Still, it's exciting to see someone with a similar creative voice.

As I left, I grabbed the show description and discovered that he attended Alfred University as a ceramics major, graduating in 1999. My good friend Kim West graduated also from Alfred in ceramics and a professor of mine, Nick Tobier, also taught there. I'm excited to see if either of them know of Evan (who is now an MFA candidate at UW) and would love to meet him at some point. Knowing the art world, I'm sure our paths will cross soon.

PS. It's freakin hot right now.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»

1:19 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»

8:37 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home