I found that some of life's greatest revelations can discovered on the open road with nothing more than an evening breeze, jazz on the radio, and a 5lb bag of gummi bears. I've also learned that I'll always have more questions than answers (and that's okay!). May this be a written and visual documentation of this crazy journey we call life.

11.16.2008

This is why I love Seattle

On Saturday, Seattle, with over 300 cities in all 50 states, protested the passing of California's Proposition 8, which denied gays the right to marry. I think this vote really shocked the younger generation, as evident by this poster:


But shock can be a good wake-up call and my generation, newly-inspired by Obama's successful presidential campaign, is starting to step up. A flurry--no, a snowstorm--of text messaging, facebook invites, and other new social media created a protest/rally in less than a week and brought 6,000 people together.








(photos courtesy of The Stranger)

This is the first time I've felt a desire to participate in such civic engagement. I guess I always assumed that gaining gay civil rights was going to be taken care of by the time I wanted to get married/have kids. I know that sounds somewhat selfish (ie letting older generations do the hard work). But now, these issues are starting to hit closer and closer to home and I can't just sit passively waiting.

I really really wanted to participate, but was still in Portland finishing up my conference. Fortunately (or unfortunately), I think we're just getting started...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home