I found that some of life's greatest revelations can discovered on the open road with nothing more than an evening breeze, jazz on the radio, and a 5lb bag of gummi bears. I've also learned that I'll always have more questions than answers (and that's okay!). May this be a written and visual documentation of this crazy journey we call life.

1.23.2007

Culture Shock?

I recently had a thought about my lack of reverse culture shock and my return from Mali in general. As I've been catching up with old friends and professors, I've been surprised with how unreal and foreign my experience sounds when I retell the story. It's almost like I didn't even go to Mali. Weird. Maybe it's because it was such a complex and deep experience that I can't sum it up in just a few sentences. Or more likely, it was just a completely different world that there is nothing here in my life in Ann Arbor that reminds me of Mali. No language, no food, no smells, no wandering goats, no music, no hot sun, no people, nothing. And so it becomes hard for me to be nostalgic for something if I'm never reminded of it's existence. That scares me a little bit because it seems like my experience exists solely in Mali, that I didn't changed my life enough to bring it back with me. Or maybe I have, you tell me.


On a lighter note, I'm watching the State of the Union address with my friend Karen. Our drinking game is to take a swig of beer every time she freaks out and stands up to yell at the TV. I think we're going to go through the six-pack before it's over.

I think all the clapping and standing up is ridiculous. I get tired just looking at it.

Favorite Karen quotes: “Stop it! Stop lying to the American people!”
“The HOLY LAND? Who ARE you? Where is the separation of Church and State in this speech?!”

I love Karen. (applause)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahahahahaha! Yeah drinking games!
about the Mali thing...
I feel you on feeling completely seperated from my study abroad. Like it never even happened. I always told myself I wouldn't forget Spain, that all that time spent sitting around and being bored was gonna be engraved in my mind and not lost. It seems as though life caught up with me though and I can't even remember basic store names that I used to go to. That makes me sad. It's such a beautiful thing to have lived in Spain, sometimes I wish I took hold of it more. My friends all have their spanish music and are travelling once more to spanish places. I feel stagnant in life. Which way should I go, does Spain have that much say in my future or was is it just a pretty postcard to put on my wall? Even in spanish class I feel my spanish slipping away from me, and I love the language. The culture was in the language, it was the gift I recieved from every Spaniard, if they gave me nothing, they gave me something from just talking to me, listening to me, expressing their thoughts, their ideas, their life into a conversation. Words are what we live by, how can we not.
I'm frustrated but have hope that my scrapbook is coming together, that sometimes I get a call from Spain from my family, or watching spanish movies...I understand them. wow.
maybe we should just read, Me Talk Pretty One Day, and laugh at the sillies we went through right along with Sedaris...that's Mr. Steak to you buddy!

2:43 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home