I found that some of life's greatest revelations can discovered on the open road with nothing more than an evening breeze, jazz on the radio, and a 5lb bag of gummi bears. I've also learned that I'll always have more questions than answers (and that's okay!). May this be a written and visual documentation of this crazy journey we call life.

12.18.2006

Home

It's chilly in our living room where I write. I just started a fire, but a chill draft still manages to creep in through the chimney. Surprisingly, I'm loving being cold. Walking around with a numb nose and toes, boiling water a for a cup of (real!) coffee, wearing jeans and sweaters and a scarf outside...it's not as jarring as one would think, in fact, it's refreshing.

The whole re-entry back to life in the states has been easy, maybe too easy. From what I've been told from other students, the longing for life abroad doesn't hit until a few months later, when you're swamped with homework and the responsibilities of your "old" life. Except, I can never have that "old" life again, because my perception on the world has changed so much. I can't articulate that change right now, and may never, but I know it's there.

This may be the last blog entry for a while as I need to take a break and put some time in other projects. Thank you all who have read my words (I've learned since returning home that there are more of you out there than I imagined). And thank you for all your thoughts and encouragement. This experience would have been difficult without you all.

Enjoy the holidays!

Blue skies and happy travels...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

boop boop shaboop!
Glad you're home!!!!

2:27 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved reading your blog michael - hope i never touch your left hand after the african experience.

5:09 PM

 
Blogger Michelle said...

Thanks so much for the emails!!! It's great to hear that you're still doing well at home. I got home today, but I can't say that I'm adjusting as well. Either way, I'm looking forward to sitting down with the french press and chatting about our travels (i also have a bag of columbian coffee straight from a true columbian that we might be able to get at if my parents don't finish it first hahaa) see you soon!!! and thanks for all of the encouragement!!!

7:39 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home